Voter Registration Canvassers
Jolt Initiative 501c3
ABOUT JOLT Jolt Initiative is a non-profit, non-partisan organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural, and Quinceanera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin, among others. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work- which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.
ABOUT THE POSITION Jolt Initiative seeks to register 25,000 voters by the end of 2019. To meet this goal, the organization is hiring a team of part-time, seasonal Voter Registration Canvassers to register voters in Dallas and Houston. Jolt seeks dynamic, outgoing, and hard-working individuals ready to make change in Texas.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Register voters on high school and college campuses, and at community events
- Work with leaders in the community to coordinate times to register voters
- Track data in a spreadsheet on a regular basis
- Communicate with your supervisor about your shifts and availability
- Represent the organization effectively to the public
- No experience necessary, but must be highly motivated and eager to engage with community members
- Willing to work irregular hours and weekends
- Eligible to become a Volunteer Deputy Registrar in the state of Texas
- Able to pass a background check
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) preferred
- Access to a reliable vehicle with proof of insurance and registration
- Access to a smart phone
Job Type: This is a temporary, 25-hour per week position that runs from June 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019.
Location: Dallas, Texas and Houston, Texas
Compensation: Canvassers will be paid $15/hour.
To apply: Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, the job title, and the city where you reside, in the subject line of the email. Jolt will review applications on a rolling basis.